Two legendary boxing names will once again enter the ring this weekend when former champions Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. meet in an 8-round exhibition match from the Staples Center in Los Angeles. After months of buildup as well as a delay from the original date by two months, Tyson and Jones Jr. will finally meet in the ring in what the California Athletic Commission has deemed “sparring” in hopes that neither fighter goes for the knockout.
But don’t tell Tyson or Jones that because the two have said multiple times in the buildup that this is going to be a legitimate fight.
Tyson, of course, was one of the most feared heavyweights in history, dominating the division over the late 1980s, becoming the youngest heavyweight champion in history with brutal punching power that carried him to a 37-0 record before he fell victim to one of the greatest sports upsets in history when he was knocked out by James “Buster” Douglas in Tokyo in February 1990. Tyson remained a star despite years spent in prison after being convicted of rape. Tyson would go on to infamous lows such as twice biting Evander Holyfield in their June 1997 rematch and quitting against Kevin McBride during his final pro bout. He has, in recent years, rehabilitated his image as a kinder, gentler version of himself, appearing in films, hosting a podcast and becoming an outspoken advocate for marijuana.
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. — WBC Frontline Championship (8 rounds)
- Jake Paul vs. Nate Robinson — cruiserweights (6 rounds)
- Badou Jack vs. Blake McKernan — light heavyweights (8 rounds)
- Viddal Riley vs. Rashad Coulter — cruiserweights (6 rounds)
- Jamaine Ortiz vs. Nahir Albright — lightweights
- Irvin Gonzalez Jr. vs. Edward Vasquez — featherweights
- Juiseppe Cusumano vs. Nick Jones — heavyweights
Odds via SportsLine oddsmakers
- Mike Tyson -220 vs. Roy Jones Jr. +170, Draw: +1200
- Over/Under 7.5 Rounds: Over +150, Under -180
- Date: Nov. 28 | Start time: 9 p.m. ET (main card)
- Location: Staples Center — Los Angeles
- TV: Traditional PPV providers | Live stream: TysonOnTriller.com or FITE TV | Price: $49.99